- Men need to consume more water than women, in general. Men should aim for around 3 1⁄2 liters (0.9 US gal) of water a day, and women 2 1/2. Of course, the bigger you are (man or woman), the more water you need to drink.
- Fruit is full of sugar, but it’s healthier sugar that won’t spike your insulin as much and get turned to fat. Your mind registers the sugar keeping you away from the cake, and your waistline stays that much trimmer. Besides, you’re supposed to get 4 servings of fruit a day – and this is a good way to do it.
- Not only are veggies great for you, but when you’re eating them, you’re not eating other things, like processed goods (chips, candies, etc.). And the greener the better – green beans, broccoli, kale, spinach, and green peppers are all chock-full of body-healthy and waistline-trimming benefits.
- Carbohydrates have the unfortunate tendency of spiking our insulin levels, raising our blood sugar, and making us fat. Whole grains, on the other hand, don’t do this nearly as much. They’re a good source of fuel and energy without the unnecessary sugar explosion.
- For a long, long time, fat has gotten a bad rap. The low-fat craze was huge and is still going strong. In reality, low-fat items have been processed with extra sugar to taste good (by and large, anyway), removing their “healthy” label. New research is springing up all over the place that fatty items, like red meats and cheeses, may not be that bad for us.
Swap out carbs for protein. Protein is the building blocks of the body. Without protein, your body can’t repair itself and get through the wear and tear you put on it every day. Carbohydrates are fuel that your body turns to sugar when not used. When your body has no carbs to run on, it turns to fat and then to protein. Cut out the carbs, and your body will start burning your fat stores. And what should you replace carbs with? Protein – the ultimate tummy filler and muscle builder.
- One simple step you can take to eating healthier and losing weight is to cut out your lunchtime sandwiches and replace them with either a hearty salad or chicken or fish. Even just skipping the side of french fries can do your body good, though it’s best if you can replace it with nuts or cheeses to keep your body feeling fueled. If losing weight isn’t a good enough reason to cut the carbs, know that it can also severely reduce your risk of getting diabetes.